White Oak Morris Chair and Ottoman

Home » Blog » Woodworking » White Oak Morris Chair and Ottoman

This Morris chair and ottoman was built to go along with Roseann’s other mission furniture.

I used the same finish as her other mission furniture.

  • lockwood american walnut water-based dye mixed 1 lb. in 8 gals.
  • 1.5# blonde shellac (sealcoat) sanded lightly with 400
  • varathane mission brown oil-based stain as a glaze
  • 2 wiped on coats of waterlox original sealer/finish
  • 2 wiped on coats of a 50/50 mixture of waterlox sealer/finish and satin
As usual, I got some great looking white oak from George. Here are the glued up blanks for all the legs. I used rift-sawn boards so the legs would look the same on all four sides. They will be 2 1/4" when finished.

As usual, I got some great looking white oak from George. Here are the glued up blanks for all the legs. I used rift-sawn boards so the legs would look the same on all four sides. They will be 2 1/4″ when finished.

The chair has curved arms and this form will be used to glue them.

The chair has curved arms and this form will be used to glue them.

Three 3/8" thick boards are glued to together to make 1 1/8" thick arms.

Three 3/8″ thick boards are glued to together to make 1 1/8″ thick arms.

After 24 hours of clamping, the arms sprung back a little.

After 24 hours of clamping, the arms sprung back a little.

I just got a Leigh FMT jig and wanted to use it on this project. It produced the best fitting mortise and tenons joints I have ever made. As you can see, it has fake through tenons and walnut plugs.

I just got a Leigh FMT jig and wanted to use it on this project. It produced the best fitting mortise and tenons joints I have ever made. As you can see, it has fake through tenons and walnut plugs.

I glued up the sides first.

I glued up the sides first.

After that, I glued the front and back stretchers. The glueups came out square and very solid. I think I'm really going to like the Leigh FMT.

After that, I glued the front and back stretchers. The glueups came out square and very solid. I think I’m really going to like the Leigh FMT.

Here is a closeup of the laminated arms.

Here is a closeup of the laminated arms.

The ottoman is built and here is the detail of the fake through tenons and walnut plugs.

The ottoman is built and here is the detail of the fake through tenons and walnut plugs.

The Morris chair is done and I tested the seat and back for fit. I removed them for finishing.

The Morris chair is done and I tested the seat and back for fit. I removed them for finishing.

The back is adjustable to three positions.

The back is adjustable to three positions.

Here is the ottoman after the finishing was completed.

Here is the ottoman after the finishing was completed.

The chair had a lot of tough areas to finish and took some patience, but I was happy how it turned out.

The chair had a lot of tough areas to finish and took some patience, but I was happy how it turned out.

I was very happy how the ray flecks popped on the arms and like the touch the walnut plugs add.

I was very happy how the ray flecks popped on the arms and like the touch the walnut plugs add.

Here they are after being delivered and waiting to be upholstered.

Here they are after being delivered and waiting to be upholstered.

Here it is with the upholstery.

Here it is with the upholstery.

This is the display case I built last fall

This is the display case I built last fall.

View Details

The mission sofa was the first piece I built for Roseann.

The mission sofa was the first piece I built for Roseann.

I also built two end tables.

I also built two end tables.

 

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: